I got to thinking about all of things that have changed so dramatically in my life in this last year, and it got me to thinking just how much! So I wanted to share with you 10 things I have said recently that taken in the context of where I have come from are shocking!
- “Do you have that in a Large?” Here in the past few weeks, I have begun the process of shopping for new winter clothes, and since I can now fit into a Large, that means any and all stores are an option for me! It used to be I could shop at only one of the department stores in the mall, now it’s any store, any time, anything I want! I’m like a kid in a candy store with all of these choices!!
- “You want my double X shirts, they are to big for me?” When I started losing weight back in January, double X clothes were just a dream to me. Now, they are mostly to big on me and frankly they’re about to go the way of my old “fat clothes”!
- “I need to buy a reflective shirt so I can run at night!” I said this to a friend last week, when I took off on a crisp, moonlit night for a great evening run. The run was awesome, but probably not the safest thing that I have ever done it my life!
- “I only ran four and half miles today.” I have come so far from that first night when I attempted to walk a 5K distance!
- “Can we go eat somewhere that has a good salad?” I am not going to kid with you and pretend that I don’t eat bad food, but that is now more the exception instead of the norm. Sunday after church, I made sure our group went to a place that had great salad, not just typical unhealthy “american” food.
- “Why am I shopping in the big and tall section?” There was a huge sale at one of the area department stores last weekend, it has a great big and tall section and I have shopped there for years. I caught myself standing in the middle of that section asking why am I here? To my delight I got to move to the much larger, “normal people” cloths section!
- “I’m out of fruit, how am I going to start my day?” This actually happened to me this week, I woke up and made my morning bowl of oatmeal and looked to add a couple of cups of fresh fruit, only to find I was all out. It was a sad start to my day and yet at the same time strange to think I have come so far from my gas station breakfast days.
- “Man, have I really had 10 servings of Fruits and Veggies today?” That is an earth shattering change to go from a person who’s closest interaction with vegetables was french fries, and I never ate fruit unless it was in a pie or stuffed in a doughnut!
- “So I guess losing 222 pounds is kind of a big deal.” Most days it doesn’t sink in to me that the amount of weight that I have lost. I mean I have now lost the equivalent of an average overweight adult male. I guess it is true when you live with yourself you don’t always see or wrap your brain around the magnitude of your accomplishments.
- “Don’t worry about it I’m used to people walking right by me.” I always make this statement in the following scenario.
- I’m walking through the mall, store, or athletic game, when I see a former student or acquaintance.
- I do the whole smile, head nod, and “Hey, how are you?”
- They walk right past me with out even acknowledging me or look at me with a “Who is that?” look on their face.
- I keep walking slightly peeved they didn’t at least give me a courtesy nod.
- They come running back and say something to the effect of: “Wow, I didn’t even recognize! You look so different, how did you do it?”
- I say “don’t worry about it, I’m used to it…”
I will never get used to that whole exchange, however I must say that I have come to love that response the most!
So there it is a list of things I never, ever thought in a million years thought I would say, or say again in some cases, yet I say these all on a regular basis. It is most definitely an ongoing process adjusting to life, post weight loss. I do know that life will be fuller because of this journey!